My bible cover was in pretty sad shape. So I decided to make a new one using pieces from a different old one.
I chose a royal blue heavy cotton fabric and doubled it for strength. Then I cut apart the old bible cover I had on a slightly smaller bible that I have not used in years. I also used Fray Check on all the cut edges of those pieces. I actually embroidered a border on the spine piece but did not like how it turned out, so I frogged it all out.
These are the pieces cut out and tacked into place. As you can see I embroidered this cover in 1983. The threads are all silk or metallic.
On the front piece the cross is surrounded by vines with pomegranates, one pomegranate for each book of the bible.
The back piece is a favorite worship song my old pastor wrote and we sang it in Hebrew and English. It is a simple song about how the Lord is our Peace. The little thing at the bottom is a split in half hawthorn berry, a personal symbol for myself.
So I am hunting for a nice ribbon, braid, etc to use for a border around the pieces, possibly in purple. Maybe I can get to Michael's or Hobby Lobby when we go to Abilene on Thursday. Unfortunately that hour's drive is the closest to any place that carries a variety of sewing items.