Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How I Spruced Up a Pillow

I have a set of two of these gorgeous pillows with beading and a matching throw, beads & all that I found at a thrift shop years back.  They are really nice but the backs are plain and sometimes you just don't want matchy matchy sets.
About a year ago I found this piece at a thrift shop for 75¢.  It was a small wallhanging and in a 10 x 12 room I have no walls left.  But I had to have it, it has peacocks on it!  I have a thing for peacocks, always have.  Anyway, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it and I finally thought about my pillows. 

So I removed the backing pieces and hanging rod.  Then I put Fraycheck along the edges because it is that kind of fabric, probably rayon with a metallic silver weave.
You can see from the back where the red & blue were woven just how much this would probably fray.  I pinned it in place and stitched it down by hand.
I think with the hawks, peacocks and elephants it was most likely made in India as a tourist souvenir.  I'm thinking it might need some trim but I will have to see if I find anything when I go into Abilene sometime in the next couple of months.  

And except for a handful of wool pennies, that was my stitching for the week.  I've been a bit preoccupied doing Ebay listings while I had some free ones and learning to cook meals for my newly diabetic father.  It's a learning curve for this meat and potatoes/pasta/noodles/bread family.  But I'm sure we'll all be healthier for it!

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...