Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Holiday Appetizer

These 3 ingredients make a great appetizer and have been a staple for holidays at my family's house since we first had them at someone's shower nearly 40 years ago.  
What you need is: 
Green onions, the smallest ones you can find or you may need to slice them in half longways.
Cream cheese or a variation thereof.
Buddig Corned Beef or a variation.
I usually figure 1 box cream cheese and 2 pkgs of meat to each 2 bunches of onions.
Let your cream cheese soften some and it is easier to spread.  You can use 1 or 2 pieces of the Buddig meat depending on how much meat you want, the recipe amount is for 1 piece each.  One year I could not find the corned beef and bought some at the deli counter sliced fairly thin.  It was delicious but a bit pricey.  You could use any type meat you like.  Unfortunately they now make Buddig round instead of square so it's a bit harder to roll the thing up with enough cream cheese.  If your cream cheese is soft enough you can spread it across the entire piece of meat, but I can never wait that long.
Once you lay your onion down in the cheese, just roll it up and place flap side down.  Leaving a tail on the onion gives you a handle for eating and it looks pretty.  Pile up your plate, cover and chill in the fridge until ready. We usually do these the night before or the morning of.  They stay rolled better after the chilling.
We start eating these while they are being made so plan on that when you are buying your ingredients.
And not to waste the green tails I cut them with kitchen shears and I'm dehydrating them.  Two trays full from my little pile of onions.



1 comment:

Suztats said...

Sounds good!
I used to make a cheese ball with the cream cheese, chopped onions and tinned, chopped ham. Mix, roll into a ball, then into chopped nuts, and/or grated cheese, if you wish,and serve with your fave crackers. Yum.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...