Sunday, June 3, 2012

Knotted Cretan Stitch & Butterick Patterns

The embroidery stitch for TAST this week was knotted cretan.  This stitch takes a bit of concentration to get it consistently right but it is an interesting look, perfect for crazy quilting, maybe not so good for making a frame, lol.  I used oatmeal colored aida cloth, brown and golden cotton thread for an antique look.  The golden thread is 3 strands of floss.
*
Since I have done so much sewing of clothes and other things, I chose Ebenezer Butterick and his patterns as my subject this week.  Ebenezer was born on May 29, 1826 and he was a tailor.  There were cardboard patterns available but it was a one size fits all and each person had to figure out all their own adjustments.  In 1863 his wife was cutting out a gown for their baby and made the comment that if patterns came in sizes it would be so much easier.  Voila!  Ebenezer created the first sized or graded patterns with several sizes printed like we see now.
The pattern pieces I stem stitched are very similar to the first garment I made in home ec in 7th grade, an A-line sleeveless dress.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...