Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Salsa Verde & More

Yes I've been canning salsa again.  I went through my first batch in a month, canned another and decided to can up all the tomatoes I had with another batch.  I got the large 28oz cans of no salt tomatoes at Big Lots for $1 a can, about the same price as those #10 cans as far as amount of product goes.  I think I had 9 cans here and they made 14 pints and a quart.  I added my usual chopped onions, jalapenos, garlic and spices of salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin as well as some fresh squeezed lemon juice and chopped fresh cilantro. I don't measure, I just go with what looks right.  The rings will be removed and jars washed & labeled.
And I have 2 quarts of tomato juice left over from it in the fridge too.
And I tried something new, Salsa Verde, made with tomatillos.  I added pretty much the same ingredients as with the red salsa.  Salsa verde is usually mild and goes well with chicken dishes.  I got 9 half pints from 2 pounds of tomatillos.
And lest you thing I've started canning lemons too....I didn't.  That quart jar to the right is my lemon rinds and a grapefruit rind sitting in white vinegar.  Just stuff the rinds in and cover with vinegar, cap and let sit for at least 2 weeks and you will have some wonderfully scented and powerful cleaning solution.  I made some before with orange peels, any citrus will work.  I put that batch in a spray bottle and it works very well for cleaning and getting rid of odors in the cat box too.  And the best part (beyond the fact that it is dead cheap) is that it has no nasty chemicals in it!
So that's how I spent my Sunday.  I think I must have preservitis, no known cure either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Thanks for the recipe!



I'd like to invite you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings

The most recent edition - http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2012/06/carnival-of-home-preserving-13-come.html - open until Thursday 6/7.

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...