Friday, February 24, 2012

It's Rodeo Time in Houston

It's time for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.  Every year there are trail riders that come in from all over the area.  I had to wait a bit longer to get back to work the other day, after picking up some lunch, as one of the trail rides was passing through Humble, TX.  I didn't have the camera with me but I found some photos that show some of the same kinds of wagons.  These particular riders were in the Tomball area.  Mules seem to be very popular for pulling the wagons while horses were preferred for riding.
The wagons I saw seemed to have more women & children in them and mostly men riding, but they may swap out as sometimes the trail rides are 2 or more days.  I like those windows in the canvas coverings, must be a new invention, never saw any in the old western movies.   And they have had great weather this year with no rain, it was even 81 degrees the past 2 days.
I've only been to the rodeo once in all the years I've lived here.  I thoroughly enjoyed  seeing the animals shown and the rodeo itself is pretty entertaining, especially the kids in the calf scramble.  There's always a concert to follow with big name artists.  That year I saw Chicago.  It was held in the Astrodome and the sound was the absolute worst for a concert, but it was fun anyway.  


No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...