Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Please Stand By

I found this image on the internet somewhere and used it as my desktop background on my computer at work.  Several people thought it was funny but not surprisingly the 2 girls under the age of 30 had no idea what it was.  
I explained about the old TVs and how you had to wait for them to warm up and how the picture got smaller and smaller when you turned them off.  I explained how this screen might be used when the TV station was having technical difficulties and how a similar screen was used at the end of the evening.  One co-worker said "You mean before the next show came on?"  I explained that shows only used to air from 5 am starting with the farm reports and ended about midnight with the National Anthem, there was nothing on in middle of the night.  I got a dumbfounded look.  I also explained we only had 3 channels to choose from...another dumbfounded look.   Guess it's a good thing I didn't go into how we didn't have all programs in color for a good while either.
If this makes you think I'm old, I know the feeling.  So many changes have taken place in technology since 1958 when I was born.   Not all of them for the better in my humble opinion, but at least it's entertaining to watch the younger generation try to figure out how to do things when their new gadgets don't work.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...