Thursday, February 2, 2012

How My Garden Grows in February

About 10 years ago, 1 year after having moved in to my mobile home,  I got tired of looking at the blank side of the trailer as I walked up to the porch to the front door.  So a trip to Lowe's brought me home with 3 marked down ivy plants called ficus pumila.  It took a while but now they nicely cover the ugly metal siding along my walkway and are creeping around the front corner. A little ivy covered cottage.  
Ficus pumila is also known as creeping ficus or creeping fig.  I never thought too much about it, just used the weed eater held up to it to keep it trimmed.  
This last year I had a lot of trouble with my back and I let the trimming go since it really did not look too bad.  Now on the corner at the roof line I have this:
Apparently it is rare for the plants to create fruit but this one is happy and did.  Unfortunately the fruit is not edible, but it looks cool.  Guess I better trim it back soon.  
The lantana thinks it's Spring with all the balmy weather and rain we've had so it's blooming its little heart out.  Makes up for the past summer when it was so hot and dry it never bloomed.  I really need to weed-eat the front garden as the sticker burs are pretty prolific and its best to whack them now before they make the stickers.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...