Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Hallowe'en

Here we are again at October 31.  Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.  It comes in the midst of my favorite season and it always meant lots of fun!
I grew up in a time and place where All Hallows Eve was a children's holiday, a time for dressing up as something fun or scary and going trick or treating.
We did not have harvest festivals, or whatever else they are calling it now.  We had Halloween.
It was never to us a pagan holiday and I don't think it should be one now.  Let it be a fun time for children and don't be afraid to call it Halloween.
If pagans want to celebrate it differently, I have no objections, to each his own.  But think about the name of the day...All Hallows Eve.  It is a holiday, or holy day of the Christian church, the eve of the Feast of All Saints.
The next day is All Souls Day to remember our loved ones who have passed on.  I think the Mexican culture has a great way of celebrating it ( Day of the Dead), they dress and decorate with skulls and skeletons and have picnics in the cemetery in honor of those family members now gone.  They are not afraid of death because they know it is part of life.
So have a safe and happy Halloween however you celebrate it.  And even if you don't.

1 comment:

Lord Wellbourne said...

As you know, the pagans had the party first and the Christians, not wanting to miss an opportunity, adopted it and gave it a different name and purpose. To the Celts, Samhain or Halloween was their New Year--a time to honour their ancestors and departed loved ones. It was both a celebratory and reflective holiday. I'm just glad that the Christian (Orthodox and Catholic at least) are on the same page with the Celts on the meaning of the occasion. We didn't just appear without a long line of predecessors. Remember them and what they contributed to your life now.

Excellent post--love the vintage cards!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...