Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Dinner & Some New Jar Labels

It's Sunday and I decided to make a real Sunday dinner. When I was a kid we usually went to Nana and Papa's house for dinner. Most often it was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and if there was anything else I'm sure I didn't pay any attention. So I made fried chicken today but with rice and a salad as I didn't have any potatoes in the house. In case you would like my recipe for real southern fried chicken, here it is:
*
If you have a whole chicken, cut it up. Once you have chicken pieces - with the skin on please - clean them and put in a large bowl or pot and cover with cold salt water. Cover with a lid or plate and refrigerate overnight. This will make your chicken juicy and not dry.
Next day get out your frying pan and add oil or shortening AND butter. How much? Well I eyeball it but I was doing 2 large breasts so I put in about 2 tbsp of olive oil and 3 tbsp butter. You need the oil or shortening for the high smoke point and the butter for flavor and to get a crispy golden skin.
Drain the chicken but leave wet, using a large spoon sprinkle flour over the chicken, making sure it covers everything. When butter has melted - medium heat or a little lower - put the chicken in the frying pan. Sprinkle with salt - I use Lawry's for this - and pepper. Fry the bottom side of the chicken first, covering it with a lid to hold in the heat. When the first side is golden brown flip the chicken and cover for a few more minutes. Remove lid to get rid of steam and continue to fry the top side of the chicken till golden brown and crispy. Remove from pan and drain. You can keep it warm in the oven if it will be a little while yet before everything else is ready.
You can use the drippings and the crispy bits left in the pan to make wonderful gravy for those mashed potatoes or biscuits. This meal is great with green beans and deviled eggs as side dishes, oh and maybe some homemade bread and butter pickles.
Oh, you wanted a picture? Sorry we ate it before I thought about a picture.
*
I spent some time last night saving some wonderful label ephemera from http://www.graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/ and I played with the originals so I could use them as jar lid labels for my pantry containers. I decided to share with you in case you would like to use them for whatever. I blanked out some of the original words so I could insert my own using ms paint and then used irfanview to insert my own words. The first picture will be the original with words blanked out and the second will be with the words I added. If you want to see more great labels or ephemera for craft use, check out The Graphics Fairy at the link above.

I got some large glass containers with plastic lids and I will be gluing these to the lids.


If you click on each image it should open up to a full size image for you to right click and save.

I guess this image is too small to show that it says 'for use with peanut butter or cheese or with soup'.

With the honeybees this one should probably be used on a honey jar but I liked the color for the barley, I may use it again for the oatmeal.
*
I got to thinking that I have a lot of ephemera also, so I will be scanning some and posting it for use here in the near future. Like I need yet another project!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a wonderful site!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...