Tuesday, December 31, 2019

How I Made a Down Pillow For Free

My s/o's chiropractor suggested he get a down filled pillow, but the fully down filled ones are $75 & up.  So made him one for Christmas and it cost nothing!

I had an old cotton sheet that I saved for crafty things.  The pillow is a little smaller than a standard pillow but it's big enough.  I embroidered words around the edges - good dream wishes. 

And about 2 weeks ago someone cleaning out their apartment had thrown 2 down filled jackets in the trash bin.  One was really worn and had holes, the other had a broken zipper.  I debated donating them but figured they would just get thrown out again by the thrift store.  So I removed the outer and inner fabrics.  Inside that was 2 more layers sewn into pockets that were filled with goose down.  One at a time I cut the pockets off and transferred the feathers into the pillow.  Took me three days working at night after my s/o went to bed.  I kept wearing the same clothes to work in because the down was stuck all over them.  Thankfully the feathery fluff blended into the carpet enough he didn't notice them the one time he came in my room and I vacuumed them all up when he was at work.  

I don't have a sewing machine so this was all sewn by hand.  And yes, he loves his pillow.

If you should want to try this I would highly recommend to work outside on a non-windy day when dealing with feathers of any kind.  And if you work with feathers other than down, use the heavy ticking fabric so they don't poke out.  Here's a link to a post about some I made some years back.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...