Thursday, January 10, 2019

Making a Rag Rug

After perusing Pinterest for ideas on making a rug loom, I came up with this simple design to make rugs in the size I wanted.  Approximately 3' x 6'.  I use 2x2x8s, 2" wide inside corner brackets to hold it together securely, 2 1/2" screws to string the warp on, and 2 rigid garden stakes held in place with large screw eyes to keep the sides of the rug from curving inward.
As you can see I was not entirely successful in keeping the sides straight.  I will be adding more screw eyes to the sides.  The garden stakes are a rigid plastic and a lot more affordable and light weight than anything else I looked at. 
The fabric is from t-shirts cut into 1" wide strips.  I recycled some of my own that needed to be made into rags or thrown out and I bought a bag full at our local thrift shop to get more colors.  I think I can make quite a few of these with the shirts and strips I have.  For the warp I used cotton yarn. 
 So far I am quite pleased with it, even with the slight wonkiness.

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

Looks great!

Back in the my high school teaching days I always started the semester of sewing by having the students weave small pieces. It was fun and helped them understand fabric more. The looms were basically the same as your loom.

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...