Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Finished T-Shirt Rag Rug

It's finished!
Very colorful, slightly wonky but functional rag runner rug.  As you can see, we have a concrete floor and it is cold during the winter, this rug helps a lot.

My big mistake, which is probably common for new weavers, was I pulled the t-shirt weft material too tightly.  The side bars on the loom helped but didn't solve the problem.  What should have been a 3' x 6' rug turned out to be 2.5' x 6', which is ok.  Now I know better how to handle the material.  Another issue was some of the fabric was polyester rather than cotton and thinner so I doubled the thickness to make it even out.  I won't be using the polyester stuff even if it is free again.  
I am glad this rug is not too heavy, it will also fit in the washer nicely. 

As for the loom, I will be adding more screw eyes to hold the side bars to keep it from bowing, but not pulling my fabric too tight should also help.  I will also add another screw to each side on top & bottom so I don't have as wide a piece with no warp on each side.

All in all it was a great learning experience and I'll be making more rugs as I have time.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...