Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Handbag Handle Repair

This is a Tommy Hilfiger purse I got for free.  Though the purse is in great condition, the faux leather handles were actually peeling.  Sad that they use inferior materials on what is otherwise a nice handbag.
So here is my repair!
There is a grosgrain ribbon in dark red & blue on the bag and I found some dark red grosgrain ribbon to match.  I just covered the handles and hand stitched the covers with matching quilt thread.
I did have to use 2 pieces as the ribbon was not quite wide enough to go all the way around.  But I think it turned out pretty nice looking and will certainly last longer than the cheap faux leather.  It is weird because no other faux leather area is damaged and it was peeling, it had not gotten chewed by a dog.
$1.97 for the ribbon at Walmart and a bit of time.  Another great recycling project!


3 comments:

Terra said...

That is a clever way to fix the handle and it turned out pretty. I would not have thought of using the ribbon.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Thanks Terra, it was too nice a purse to just throw out.

Debra Dixon said...

Good Save!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...