Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Come See the Wildflower Garden

The wildflower garden I planted last year has come up and is absolutely gorgeous this year.
We have a horseshoe drive and this is inside it.  Our big mesquite tree grows in one corner.  This bed is about 3 feet wide.  I put in a few plants from the nursery last year but most everything you see is what has come up from the 1000's of seeds I scattered last spring.  Those Queen Anne's Lace are 4 feet tall!


I had gotten a lot of seed packets marked way down at the end of the season and those along with a wildflower mix a friend gave me is what I scattered over this mostly bare bed last spring.  Very little came up last year though I did have blanket flower blooming it's heart out all winter.
And it is still blooming.
Above you see the arbor I redid 2 years ago with branches instead of the falling apart lattice it used to have.

Here's Buttercup, my supervisor.
And I just purchased a Red Flame grapevine, sharing the planter box with a yellow chrysanthemum about to bloom.  The planter boxes on either side of the arbor were made last year from scrap wood.  They are bottomless so they have good drainage.
This bush is just under the mesquite tree, you can even see a couple of red berries amongst the flowers on the top right.
This is the other side of the horseshoe, only a few blooming plants here, most of the ones I purchased did not make it, but a few did.  I will sow wildflower seed here this year and next year it should be gorgeous too.  Hopefully all will resow themselves from here on out.

1 comment:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love this! I'm sure your neighbors enjoy it too. That Queen Anne's lace is so pretty!

Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...