Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Bible Journaling - Medieval Heraldic Flourishes

Another double page of historical information that I personalized.


First I added an image of an old woodcut from a 15th century Gutenberg bible (cut from a magazine) and practiced a little with a calligraphy pen to label it.  That was done at home.
Then came more medieval flourishes in typical medieval colors.  You would have found this type decoration in bibles, prayer books, heraldry and even in embroidery.  Colors that were opposite of each other on the color wheel work very well for this type of design. 

The outlines of the flourishes were lightly done with pencil and gone over with ball point pen - whatever kind I had that day.  Pen lines were added for shading.

The pattern was colored with prismacolor pencils and accented with metallic gold pen dots. 

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...