Friday, December 18, 2015

How to Make Easy & Quick Knitted Mitts

Yes, these are EASY and QUICK even if you are a novice knitter.
And did I mention that they are pretty too?
If you can knit and purl and yarn over you can make these.  I promise, because I'm pretty much still a novice knitter.
I just love the little lacy detail and the scalloped edges.

These were a Christmas present request so how could I say no?  Truly, they took me 2 days to make.  I used some wonderful Peruvian wool I picked up at the thrift store in a color called Snickerdoodle and some pale, pale pink mohair which is thread thin.  It added that little something extra and made them that much softer.  I like how they look a little frosty.

I used almost 2 skeins of wool (wool is much warmer than acrylic but use what makes you happy or what you have).  That would be about 240 yards as these were small skeins.  I have one skein of mohair and used maybe 1/3 of it.  I just used the 2 types of yarn as if they were one strand and #4 US needles.  These are a nice size for a lady, with wool you can block them for a better fit as well.

  • Cast on 42 stitches
  • 4 rows stockinette, meaning on row knit, one row purl, one row knit, one row purl.
  • Yarn Over one stitch then knit 2 stitches together, repeat until end of row.
  • 4 rows stockinette only this time it is one row purl, one row knit, one row purl, one row knit.  --So far you have created the edge which when folded over creates the scalloped hem.
  • Now we decrease, purl 4 stitches, purl 2 together and repeat until the end of the row.
  • purl a row
  • knit a row
  • purl a row
  • knit 2 rows
  • yarn over for the first stitch, knit 2 together, repeat until the end and just knit the last stitch as there is only one and not two.
  • knit 2 rows
  • purl a row
  • knit a row
  • purl a row  --Now you have created the lacy part.
  • Now we knit in stockinette again beginning with a purl row and ending with a purl row.  I did 35 rows but you can make it longer or shorter depending on your preference.
  • yarn over for the first stitch and knit 2 together until the end of the row to make the scallops.
  • 4 rows stockinette = purl one row, knit one row, purl one row, knit one row.
  • Bind off in any fashion you choose, I like to knit 2 stitches then pull the first stitch over the second and drop it off the needle, knit another stitch and pull the 2nd over the 3rd and drop it off the needle, continue to the end until you have 1 stitch left.  Cut your yarn to leave a long tail and slip the stitch off the needle.  Thread the tail through the last stitch and draw up tight. 
  • Cut a longish piece of yarn and thread it in a large blunt needle.  You don't want the lumpiness of knots so run a couple inches into the back side of hem area.  Then fold the hem to make the scallops and whip stitch the hem down on the back side.  Don't pull too tightly, you want it to stretch a bit.  At the end just run your yarn thread back into the hem by several inches, come out and clip the end off.  If your start and finish tails are long enough you can use them for this.
  • Once all the hems are done you need to sew up the side seam leaving a hole for the thumb to fit through.  I can't give you exact measurements here, just play with it on your own hand to see how far up the fingers you want the mitt to go.  Sew the side seam from the top down.  I actually used the mohair yarn for this as it was thinner like thread and would not leave a lumpy seam.  (I'm still working on getting my seams nice.) Then I went back up the seam to the top and worked the end of the thread yarn into the hem.
  • I did exactly the same for the bottom, working up to the thumb hole, trying it on to check for size, then went back down to the hew to work in the end.
  • TA DA!  Unless you want to block them, you are done!

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice!

Judy said...

Lovely! And thanks for the pattern.

Quinn said...

So pretty, and such a nice gift, too. I sometimes use that "picot edge" for the top of handknit socks :)

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...