Friday, October 30, 2015

Make Your Own Bathroom Accessory Jar

Are you like me?  Do you just hate to throw out perfectly good jars with lids?  I use them for all kinds of dry food and herb storage.  And I have a decent sized stash of unused ones too.

Here's what I made for my cotton balls!

One pickle jar thoroughly cleaned and dried, no label residue, no left over pickle smell please!  Unadorned it worked fine to hold cotton balls but it was boring and looked like a pickle jar.

After 4 coats of nail polish (I already had it) on the lid, some silver stickers from my old stash of scrapbooking stuff, a clear plastic knob (had to buy that for a couple of bucks) and 4 pieces of note paper taped together...it wasn't so boring and no longer looked like a pickle jar!
I could have drilled a hole and screwed the knob in place but since it is not really functional I just glued it with some 527 glue I had.  Silicone would probably work fine too.  The hardest part was waiting for the coats of nail polish to dry.

I've seen some pretty ones on Pinterest where they used short candlesticks as a pedestal but for where I will be using it I figured 'as is' would be a better choice.  Who wants broken glass in the bathroom?

The note paper insert is 4 pieces taped together on the back side and just rolled enough to get it inside the jar.  It just floats in there and the cotton balls hold it in place.

You could make these out of all kinds of jars in all kinds of colors to hold all kinds of things.

Leave me a comment and tell me what you would use some for and how you might do it different!

3 comments:

Lady Locust said...

That looks fabulous! Love that little glass handle on top.

Darla Mae said...

I think you did a great job. I like it! I can see it used for small sewing items, to keep them together and all in one place.
I like the colors you did it in.

Darlene

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Thanks so much ladies!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...