Monday, April 13, 2015

How I Keep Track of a Cross Stitch Design

This is my current embroidery project, the four seasons, cross stitch done on linen over 2 threads.  Winter and Spring are done and I am working on Summer.
  
I don't know about you but I have always had trouble keeping track of where I am when working on a cross stitch project.  And with my eyes getting older it gets a bit harder.  So here's how I do it to save my sanity.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this.  I use colored pencil to color in the stitches I have worked.  Usually I use the light colors like yellow.  I also mark the center lines in red because most charts are split into pieces.  Some areas are harder to see because of the quality of printing on this one, so I used a red pencil in some areas to designate that particular color.
I also tend to work in block areas, I choose a corner (or the center) to begin and work outward with connecting colors.  I don't like to skip all over doing all one color because it is too easy to miscount and I hate frogging out stitches.

Most times I will also use regular sewing thread in a long running stitch to mark sections and/or borders before I begin.  A nice bright contrasting color works very well and the thread is easy to clip and pull out when you need to work that area.

If you don't want to color on your pattern, make a paper copy that you can throw away when you are done.

I hope this helps someone out there and if you have other techniques that you use, please share in the comments!

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...