Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Texas Star ~ A Great Bloomer for the Hot Summer

Texas Star is known by a myriad of names such as swamp hibiscus, scarlet rose mallow and scarlet hibiscus.  It's proper name is Hibiscus coccineus.
We have 3 clumps along the garage that are about 5 feet tall.  
Flower pods.
The brilliant red flowers are about 8 inches in diameter.

They can reach up to 12 feet tall and they are hardy from zone 6a to 11.  After blooming they form seed pods which you allow to dry on the plant and then break open to collect the seeds.  Apparently they are supposed to love damp areas but they are doing fine here in the drought of north central Texas.  The rain water coming off the garage seems to be enough for them as we don't water this area.  The cannas and iris do well in this spot too. 


No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...