Friday, January 10, 2014

DIY Lamp

I needed a small lamp that I could plug into a timer so it comes on in the morning to simulate a sunrise.  Have I mentioned that my new room has no windows?  And that it is inside a large shop/garage?  That makes it hard for someone who is not a morning person to get up before 10am.

So I went off to the Family Dollar store a friend recommended to see what they had.
I found a lamp that looks like this but has a different shade, just 12" tall - perfect for $6!
Then I visited a local resale shop and picked up a plain glass dessert plate for 50¢.  The bottom of the lamp was open and I wanted to fill it with something.

I collect vintage sewing things and have a lot of old thread spools so this is what I came up with.
The plate is glued on upside down with little dots of silicone glue around the bottom of the lamp base.
I picked up a timer from Walmart for around $5.

Now my instant sunrise will wake me up earlier without having to listen to an annoying alarm!

2 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

That's a fun lamp!

Suztats said...

Great idea! Love the spools in the lamp base.

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...