Saturday, September 28, 2013

Are #10 Cans Too Big For You?

Sometimes I buy food in #10 cans, those big commercial size cans you occasionally see in the grocery store.  But unless I was throwing a party there is no way I can eat all that food before it goes bad, so I can it!
From 1 can of pork & beans I canned up 7 pints and enough to go with dinner left over.

I heated up the beans first and I added some water to make sure they were not too dense in the jars.  Then canned them according to the Ball Blue Book.  I actually added some ham to mine so I canned for 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (low altitude).  I'll need to drain some of the liquid off when I reheat to eat them, but I thought this was a pretty good deal for $2.68, much cheaper than buying 7 regular cans.

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Interesting! With just the two of us, even the smaller cans leave leftovers. 'Twasn't that way when there were 5 of us, but that's quite a long time ago now.

HermitJim said...

Good idea! I never thought of it before!

Judy said...

I do the same thing with tomato sauce. A #10 for $2.50 and then re-can when I open it into half-pints and pints.

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...