Saturday, August 3, 2013

Make Your Own Hamburger Helper

I had no leftovers and nothing really quick for dinner but I came up with an easy dish that's much more healthy than the boxed version.
My version of Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
I managed to remember to take a photo before I actually ate it.

I will loosely call this a recipe:
1 tbl butter
1 tbl olive oil
1 onion diced
couple dashes of salt
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet, add onions and salt and cook on med low until onions are translucent.  I used a lid on the skillet throughout.
1 can cream of whatever you like (you can use a dry mix as well)
2 cups or more of broth (whatever you like or have)
water as needed I used about 2-3 cups
1 tbl garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
Mix the soup and broth with about 1 cup water, stir in the garlic powder and pepper and pour into the skillet turning the heat up to medium.
1 package noodles
1 pound cooked hamburger 
(mine had been in the freezer or you could used canned hamburger.  If you use fresh hamburger then fry it with the onions and omit the butter and oil, drain before adding the soup mix)
Add the meat and the noodles to the skillet and stir well.  Add more water if needed, cover and simmer.
Check, stir and add more water if needed from time to time.
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
When the noodles are done add in the peas or whatever other cooked vegetable you like.  
6-8 oz sour cream or plain yogurt
Once the peas are heated you can stir in the sour cream or yogurt.
Taste before adding salt, I didn't need any as the meat had been seasoned before freezing it, the broth had salt and so did the canned soup.  I did more pepper but I really like pepper.
Took about 45 minutes start to finish and makes enough for about 5-6 servings for me.

As I had bought the meat on sale this recipe cost me about $4.

You could easily use left over roast beef or even chicken for this dish.  A topping of parmesan cheese would probably be good too.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...