Tuesday, May 21, 2013

St Nicholas Cross Stitch Completed

I really did not expect Nicholas to be completed this quickly.
But here he is!  
I'm very pleased with how the halo turned out and will work next of framing him to hang.  I have a 'few' frames laying around, a hazard of being a professional picture framer for quite a few years.  Hopefully one will fit him.

I have plans to add my name and the year to it once I have a frame chosen and can see where i have space for  a signature.  So next week I should have him hanging on the wall, at least that's the plan.

Here's some more of Nicholas' story:
Upon the death of Archbishop John, Nicholas was chosen as Bishop of Myra.  After his consecration as archbishop, St Nicholas remained a great ascetic, appearing to his flock as an image of gentleness, kindness and love for people.  This was particularly precious for the Lycian Church during the persecution of Christians under the emperor Diocletian (284-305).  Archbishop Nicholas was locked up in prison together with other Christians for refusing to worship idols and the Lord preserved him unharmed.  Upon the accession of  Constantine as emperor, St Nicholas was restored to his flock, which joyfully received their guide and intercessor.

In the year 325 St Nicholas was a participant in the First Ecumenical Council. This Council proclaimed the Nicean Symbol of Faith, and he stood up against the heretic Arius.  

He is known to have worked many miracles during his life and having reached old age, St Nicholas peacefully fell asleep in the Lord. His venerable relics were preserved incorrupt in the local cathedral church and flowed with curative myrrh, from which many received healing. In the year 1087, his relics were transferred to the Italian city of Bari, where they rest even now.

St Nicholas is the patron of travelers, and we ask him to help through his prayers for deliverance from floods, poverty, or any misfortunes.  He has promised to help those who remember his parents, Theophanes and Nonna.
St Nicholas Day is celebrated on December 6th in the Eastern church and children put out their shoes for him to fill with treats.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...