Friday, June 29, 2012

Cast Iron Dutch Oven

I splurged a little and bought this for myself on eBay last week.  It came today.  Mine does not have the extra spiral handle but I'm not sure I would ever use it anyway.  These are made by Lodge which is a good old American company in Tennessee and they have been making cast iron cookware since 1896.
This 5 quart piece is from their new line that is pre-seasoned so it's ready to go right out of the box.  And it was a great price too at $29.99 with free shipping.
*
I used to have a whole set of cast iron, 3 frying pans, 2 pots, griddle and an oval dutch oven.  I sold them all when I moved mostly because they are so hard to handle when you have carpal tunnel issues.  I have always wished I kept the dutch oven and now I have one again.
These are great for casseroles, stews and roasts.  Coq Au Vin is wonderful cooked in a dutch oven.  A lot of people use these when camping as you can cook over the coals and even bake breads and such in them.  This one does not have the flat lid that you can put coals on top of, but if needed I bet some aluminum foil would work to hold the coals.  I don't camp out anymore so that will probably not be an issue for me...unless we get a hurricane and lose power.  But let's not go there.
*
Anyone got a favorite dutch oven recipe you want to share?

1 comment:

Alberta Art Classes said...

I bought my husband a 16 quart cast iron pot for making chili. I can barely lift it, but now he only uses ONE pot instead of three!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...