Sunday, May 13, 2012

Half Chevron Stitch & Color Run

I had an issue this week with my embroidery.  The red thread was some I got in a lot at the thrift shop and it was not DMC.  I was trying to get out a spot of blood and the red dye ran.  This is after using peroxide and soap & water!  I may try being creative and try to get it to draw upwards so it looks planned....we'll see.  I don't want to use bleach.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening.
The outlines are stem stitched and the half chevron was used to fill in the coke bottle (this is the original bottle shape).  I didn't use the straight line on this so maybe it is technically not a half chevron.  Oh, well, not a favorite stitch for me anyway.
The subject is Coca~Cola, specifically John Pemberton patenting it on May 8, 1886 as a medicine.  John was a wounded soldier from the Civil War and got hooked on morphine as did many.  He tried to find something that would help those that were addicted and yes, his original formula did call for cocaine. 
It was only sold as medicine while it contained cocaine, once the formula was sold to another it was changed and became the soda drink.  The main difference between the old soda pop formula and what you can drink now is that they now use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar....proven to be just as addicting as cocaine and morphine!
Remember this page from a couple of weeks ago?  I posted it to Sue Grafton's Facebook page and got nice comments from several people including this one from Sue herself:
"That is still the coolest piece I've seen in ages. I have two or three 'alphabets' in cross stitch and an 'A' IS FOR ALIBI paperback cover replica in needlepoint. I'm so impressed with the time and energy you put into these projects."

As a UK blogger I read says, I am dead chuffed!
I filled in with half cross stitches to cover the pink.



No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...