Saturday, May 12, 2012

Backyard Neighbors

These are some of my backyard neighbors.  This photo was taken out of the bathroom window which is at the back of my trailer.  No, I don't live in the country, it's very suburban here, 1/2 mile from the freeway and pretty much housing developments surround me.
The long piece of property behind this side of the park I live in was cleared about 6 years ago of underbrush and a fence put up.  Ever since the owners have kept a few cows, a pony and some chickens & a rooster.  The number of cattle vary from year to year.  These neighbors are a lot better than some of the 2 legged ones.
The far one is a cow, the one in the middle is a steer and the one closest to the fence appears to be a young steer, maybe last year's baby.  I assume they raise them for meat but possibly one of the children of the family is active in FFA (Future Farmers of America).  
As you can tell the fence-line is pretty close, about 8 feet from the back of the trailer.  I have a 16' x 80' single wide trailer and about 6' of garden on one side and about 10' of garden on the other.  90% is shade, most is total shade.  Good for keeping the trailer cooler in summer but not so great if you want to grow veggies. I tried for several years but honestly I spent more money than if I'd have bought them in the store.  So for now I don't grow veggies.  I do have some herbs in the front garden that does get all day sun and the rest are flowers that were given to me and volunteers like the 2 elderberries.  I have purchased very little except dirt for the raised beds in the 11 years I have been here.

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...