Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dehydrating Vegetables

This was not my bag, just a photo I found on the internet.
I have been wanting to use my dehydrator more, see this post for my last use.  I had planned to try some carrots today but as I was perusing the fridge I spied the bag of broccoli slaw that I had yet to open.  Sometimes I just can't eat salad stuff due to IBS, other times I'm ok as long as I don't eat iceberg lettuce.  Perhaps it was a residual of the food poisoning I had but the broccoli slaw had not gotten eaten and I'm not sure how much longer it would have lasted.  So I decided to dehydrate it and see what would happen.  
My dehydrator has 4 trays and one package nearly filled them all.  I added about a cup of chopped celery to finish filling out the tray.  It worked quite nicely, about 4 cups of raw veggies gave me about a 1/2 cup of dehydrated veggies.  So I added it to my dehydrated mixed veggies for soup.  Sorry for no photos of the process, I promise to do better next time.
Isn't it amazing how much water content is in veggies?

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...