Saturday, December 3, 2011

Encrusted Crazy Quilt Piece

This is how it started after a week of dithering over fabrics and placement.
After 6 weeks of very informative encrusted crazy quilt classes given online by Sharon B at Pin Tangle, it looks like this:
My frame is not wonky, that's the camera doing its tricks.  This piece is 13 x 17 inches, much larger than most folks' 8 inch squares.  But then I never do things the way others do.  I'm pretty well pleased with it.
Here's a closer view of the top portion.  The gold round piece is a vintage brooch I picked up that is labeled Guinevere.  Some of the flowers in the curve here are pre-made ones I had in my stash, it was nice to find a home for them, the rest I embroidered with silk ribbon that I had picked up on closeout ages ago.
This unicorn is the piece I started with in the beginning.  It is an applique lace motif that started out beige.  I painted it with 2 colors of gold metallic craft paint.  The fern stitch fronds around him are done with vintage silk tread I scored at the thrift shop one day.  I did have some trouble with it since being vintage meant it did have some weak spots and several lengths had to be picked out and trashed.
This heart was also a lace motif I painted gold but this corner needed something light so I added the gathered pink silk ribbon and beads.  There are lots of beads scattered everywhere on this piece.  Click on the photos to enlarge them.
I spent the most time on the flower curve with its myriad of blossoms.  There's even a few buttons in there.  All my favorite colors and textures brought together in one piece.  If you are interested in learning more about encrusted crazy quilting I highly recommend Sharon's class.  You get to download and keep the instructions so I feel it is well worth the price of $60 for 6 weeks.  There is also a forum for those in the class so you can help each other and bounce off ideas.  Sharon also gives you the link to an online stitch index and her blog is wonderful for inspiration.
I was able to take skills I already had and put them all together in a new way.
*
Just a reminder that today is the last day to attend the Virtual Craft Show and do some commenting in order to win some fabulous items!

6 comments:

Jane said...

I love this Angela! I'll bet you almost fainted when you found the Guinevere brooch.I'm sure you learned lots from Sharons class to add to your already well developed CQ. Thanks for sharing.

Debra Dixon said...

You are so right! this is a luscious piece! Wonderful!

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

Jane, this is my first crazy quilt piece ever. I've done quilting but not like this. It was a challenge getting the pieces in place but after that it just flowed. I'm not really much of a 'planner', more of a let it happen-er.

Cyra said...

This is really gorgeous Angela. Love the highly textured pieces, and your thrift shop finds have found the perfect place to be admired for ever.

Congratulations on a job well done.

EmandaJ said...

Wow -- wow! I mean, Wow! Spectacular1

Emanda

Gillie said...

Thank you for taking us through the steps, what a beautiful piece!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...