Sunday, October 18, 2009

October TUSAL Update


Here's my ort jar for the October TUSAL.  There are bright colored threads on top from the button quilt I just finished and gold and purple and green  from the medieval ladies I am embroidering.  Somewhere in there is some green yarn from the latest dishcloth I knitted.
*
The Totally Useless Stitch A Long is still open to anyone who wants to join and virtually meet some other wonderful stitchers.  Click on the link on the right to sign up!
*


Here's a picture of my latest projects on my kitchen table.
This is the button quilt.  I whipped it up rather fast and except for the buttons it was all done on the machine.  The random squares are all types of fabrics: linen, taffeta, velvet, satin, faux suede, upholstery fabric, lace and more.  Bordered by a satin ribbon and edged and backed with more satin.  This little quilt is for a young lady who is the niece of a lady I work with.  She is 22, blind and mentally challenged.  She is a sweet girl and loves her baby doll.  I felt that a doll quilt would be appreciated and one with lots of different textures would stimulate her mind.  As a last thought I added the buttons in different shapes and sizes for even more texture.  I will be giving it to her tomorrow so will let you know later if she likes it.
I have worked on the purple and gold section of one lady's skirt these last 2 weeks and the purple sections of the lady with the lute.  I am trying to use up odd lots that have no label or were old runs of DMC and no longer match the new colors with the same numbers.  Funny, I had always heard that DMC never changed their dye lots but I guess that is not so.
This is my latest finished dishcloth.  I experimented with mixing a ribbon type yarn with the cotton for a color option.  What I found was that it made for a much better scrubbing  action when doing the dishes.  So now I am making some more with the mix of the 2 yarns.  Some I am making for Christmas presents so you probably won't see them here.
*
Fall has arrived here on the Gulf Coast of Texas with a lovely cold front.  No humidity which is heaven in itself and temps in the 70's.  I am loving it!  I feel so much better without humidity, less aches and pains.
*
Dinner is about done so I must go for now.  Happy stitching to all my TUSAL friends.
*
addendum:  Crystal loved her button quilt!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Nice progress on your TUSAL. Love the ladies!

ladyhawthorne said...

thanks!

Rhonda in OK said...

I think Crystal's quilt is so nice - and how nice of you to make it.
Your button idea would be great for a little wall quilt too.

Lord Wellbourne said...

Love the ladies!! Reminds me of the pillows you did way back when. You are still an exceptional needle artist!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails