Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Times, They Are a Changin'

Spring is officially here and down here in Texas the blossoms are proclaiming its arrival.
These little beauties are so tiny that most people miss them, in fact most people would call them weeds! How could they?

Another 'weed' to most folks, common vetch. I love its gorgeous color and not just because purple is my favorite.

The title of this post has more to do with changes happening in my life than it has to do with Spring's arrival. I am counting down the days to April 24, 2009. Why, you ask? I will be joining the ranks of the many on that day by being laid off my job.

I am not looking forward to job hunting with all of its attendant chores like signing up for unemployment, sending out resumes, perusing the job listings for hours on the web and most probably getting depressed over it all. At least that's what happened last time about 9 years ago. It will be harder this time, I fear as I am 9 years older, just turned 50 last year. I will be coloring my hair again -- so much for going natural -- as it seems to help to try to look somewhat younger. At least the fat stretches out most of the wrinkles, but fat is yet another drawback in some situations. No one is supposed to care how you look or how old you are if you can do the job, but let's be real. How many receptionists / office assistants do you see that are not 20 something, cute and perky? Can they put down their cell phone long enough to answer the employer's phone? Can they stop texting long enough to type an email to a client? Can they even put a sentence together correctly?

Yes I know some can and do, perhaps I am just cynical since seeing a whole new generation of young people at my present job, up to 600 people over the course of the last 3 years. There is very little maturity or seriousness about work. The company is constantly reminding us all of adherence to our schedule including being on time, not to mention dress codes. Somehow I thought that all was a given when you joined the work force.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. On to the blessings! I will finally get the time to go visit my parents and dear friends who live 8 hours away and that I have not seen in 2 years! I will have time to hopefully finish a multitude of household projects that have been put on the back burner, some for years. I will hopefully have a great year for tomatoes! Fingers are crossed! I will have a breather to slow my life down a bit, at least for a little while. I can put more emphasis on my Etsy shop than I normally can. I am hoping someday to make enough to live on, hope springs eternal as they say. I'll be cooking more at home and that will make Charles happy, he likes my cooking, especially the pound cake. It will be quieter as Directv will go on suspension till a new job starts - really its my only luxury besides eating out. The garden will have better care, the cats will get loved on more, I can take better care of myself with more time also. All in all, I am looking forward to new beginnings and leaving the old annoyances behind.




1 comment:

June said...

"...new beginnings and leaving the old annoyances behind."

That is very true. I sympathize with your prospective job hunting; it's a drag to go out and sell yourself all over again when you thought you were set for the duration.

Never one door closes but another opens, though, and it's good to hear positive thoughts about all the things you will be able to do with the freedom from a workday...so long as it doesn't go on too long!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...