Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Economizing Measures ~ Cutting the Cost of Entertainment

a new/old series on creatively saving money

Cutting the Cost of Entertainment

One of the first and easiest ways to cut costs and save money each month 
is on entertainment. It falls into the 'want' category instead of the need 
category. My entertainment once happened to be my satellite TV service, and quite honestly, I don't think I got $80 of entertainment out of it each month. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but it was usually something to watch/listen to while working on crafts in the evenings. As such it is definitely not a need.

So I called up DirecTV and had them turn it off, they will let you put your 
service on suspension for up to 6 months. You're still a customer, not breaking any contracts and you will have no bill for up to 6 months. This can be a great advantage to you to get past a hard time. Now I didn't have one of those converter boxes for digital TV, but I hadn't watched 'regular' TV stations in years so I was not missing anything.

What do I do for entertainment you ask? Easy, I had boxes full of video 
tapes and DVDs I bought second hand through the years and some I taped off TV. Another perk is that I don't have to listen to commercials trying to sell me something I don't want or need or that just embarrasses me. You can pick up used movies at thrift and resale shops, pawn shops, yard sales, freecycle
borrow from the library or even just borrow or trade with friends. Some folks
use Netflix which is a great deal and they also have those $1 movie rental 
boxes everywhere now. So either free or cheap works well here.

If the whole social part of going to the movie theater with friends is what you 
crave, how about having a movie night in at each other's homes and everyone bring a snack to share? You get the added benefit of pausing the movie when needed and you can be as loud as you want and no one cares.

I have found that YouTube is a great alternative to TV, Netflix, etc.  You can find your favorite old movies or TV shows, all kinds of music and entertainment as well as tons of 'how to' videos on every subject imaginable.  Check your local Facebook selling groups for free or cheap items.)

The other part of entertainment is dining out. One way to cut costs when you do eat out is to go at lunch time if you can. You will get the same dinner at a lower cost. We have a local Mexican restaurant that serves great fajitas. $9.99 at dinner but just $7.25 at lunch. And it's the same amount of food! Also a single order feeds 2 people just fine or if you are solo, you get 2 meals by taking your leftovers home. Consider where you like to eat out and see if there is a compromise there that will work for you. Of course, not eating out or at least cutting way back will save you money since eating at home is much cheaper if you are really cooking and not eating convenience foods.


No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...