Monday, December 7, 2015

How to Make a Cone Christmas Tree #3


Please refer to the 1st tree post here for basic instructions and to see the type of cone I am using for these.  And click here for tree 2.

This cone was covered in white paper, you can use double stick tape or glue for the edges.  I chose Elmer's glue.
I used 4 pieces of regular 8.5" x 11" paper.  You could use any color and I've seen them done with sheet music, newspaper and old book pages also.  I cut my paper into strips with the small paper cutter I have.  1/2" wide and them chopped them to 1.5" long.  Then I curled them just like you do curling ribbon.  
Starting at the bottom I would run a bead of Elmer's glue for a couple of inches and placed the curls.  The next rows were done the same about 1/4" above the previous row.  Keep going til the curls seem too wide.  At that point I cut them to 1/4" wide and continued to the top.  

I put hot glue into the hole at the top and then inserted a skinny piece of cardstock, once dry I attached 2 snowflakes glued back to back onto the slip of cardstock.
For the base I used the top half (upside down) of a plastic champagne glass.  I found a package of 6 at Dollar Tree.  You don't have to add bases but I like having different heights of trees for the grouping.  I ran hot glue inside the cone and them set the cone onto the glass and made sure it was straight before it set up (work quickly!).
There's tree three done! 

Say that fast three times!



No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...