Tuesday, October 8, 2013

King Ranch Chicken Casserole Made From Leftovers

Yummmmmm.
If you have never had King Ranch Chicken Casserole before I urge you to make some!  

I made mine a little different this time.  I had boiled a 5 pounds of chicken legs as they were all frozen together in the bag and I had to thaw it all.  With 1/3 of the broth and some chicken pulled from the bones, I made chicken & dumplings.  I always have 'sauce' leftover and normally thin it and make stew.  Not this time.

I greased my baking dish you see in the photo, added a layer of leftover crushed corn chips, a layer of chicken pulled from the bones, some diced onions, a thin layer of homemade salsa that was leftover and then you need to add a layer of cream soup mixed with sour cream.

Here's where I digressed.  I used some of the 'sauce' from the chicken & dumplings, mixed it with sour cream and a bit of taco seasoning.  

After the soup/sauce you add a layer of shredded cheese of your choice.  Then repeat with all those layers again.  Bake until the cheese is melted and starting to get crusty at about 325 degrees.

It turned out fabulous!

You can add in beans or corn or whatever you like on top of the chicken layers.  Just make sure to top all that with soup/sauce and then cheese.

Another good thing about this recipe is that you are not getting all the unpronounceables and sodium they put in canned cream soups. 

No comments:

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...