Monday, August 20, 2012

Canning Chicken

I was just telling myself that I needed to can some more chicken next time it went on sale because I only have a few jars left on the shelf.  Then Tuesday I got the flyer from a local grocery store and they had chicken breasts on sale for 99¢ a pound.  Yeah!

I had Friday off from work so I got up early and stopped at Walmart to pick up some more wide mouth pint jars, I got 2 cases.  Then on to the grocery store to buy the chicken.
Each package had 4 large breasts, these are with bones and skin which makes it so much more flavorful.
Got out my big Anya pot (it was a gift) and put in water, 1 large onion chopped, half a bunch of celery chopped, 3 carrots sliced, 2 tablespoons dried sliced garlic and about a 1/2 cup of dried parsley.
Once that was boiling I added chicken, 8 breasts at a time is all the pot will hold.  Some folks like to can the chicken raw but I like to boil mine so it comes off the bone easily and so that it makes wonderful rich broth.
Once a batch is done I scoop out the chicken and plop it into a large bowl to cool enough for handling and add more chicken to the pot.  I bought 6 packages so I had 3 batches to boil, that's 24 chicken breasts and they were about a pound each.
Once the chicken is cool enough to work with I pull chunks off the bones and put in a separate bowl, the discard goes into it's own bowl for broth making later.
(before the broth was added)
Once everything is ready to go for the canning I add a teaspoon of salt to each jar and stuff it full of chicken leaving about an inch of head space, then using a cup and funnel I add hot broth to cover the chicken.  Wipe the rim of the jar with a paper towel or cloth and vinegar to remove any residue, add a lid and ring and into the pressure canner they go.
I can get 8 pints in my canner if they are the regular mouth jars, but with wide mouth I can only do 7 at a time.  Process at 10 pounds pressure for 75 minutes for pints.  I got 21 pints and a small bowl left over to make chicken salad with, this worked out to $1.40 per pint of chicken.  Broth is next on the list!

I use pints as they are the perfect size for me, a larger family would probably call for quarts.  I use this chicken for chicken salad and a plethora of casseroles, skillet meals and stir fries.  Tastes better than the chicken in cans and works out cheaper too if you can get the chicken on sale.   Yes I might spend an entire day canning, but I have the makings for many good home cooked and fast meals that don't take up freezer space and won't ruin if a hurricane knocks out the electricity.

Linking to
Scratch Cooking Tuesday
Barn Hop #75

2 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Angela,

You are so smart. Those pictures take me back to the days of canning tomatoes in August. I never did any meats. I had all the equipment...the jar lifters, big black enamel pots for water baths, etc.

Now I am a complete failure at pioneer living. But who knows...maybe one day I'll do it again.

xo, Rosemary

mrsdull said...

Thanks for sharing with us at Scratch Cookin' Tuesday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails