Sunday, May 6, 2012

May Day Crossed Buttonhole Stitch

Our TAST stitch this week was crossed buttonhole, pretty easy and decorative.  My friends at Tuesday Stitchers have come up with some inventive ways to use this stitch, some in combination with other stitches.
Since this past Tuesday was May Day, May 1, my design is a maypole viewed from below.  
The pole is stem stitch and the ribbons are crossed buttonhole, all done in 2 strands of DMC cotton floss on white aida cloth.
According to Wikipedia:
The earliest May Day celebrations appeared in pre-Christian times, with the festival of Flora, the Roman goddess of flowers, and the Walpurgis Night celebrations of the Germanic countries. It is also associated with the Gaelic Beltane. Many pagan celebrations were abandoned or christianized during the process of conversion in Europe. A more secular version of May Day continues to be observed in Europe and America. In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the maypole dance and crowning of the Queen of the May. Various neo-pagan groups celebrate reconstructed (to varying degrees) versions of these customs on May 1st.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Now that is a very pretty piece!!!

A Quilt Repair While I Was On Vacation

 I went to visit my parents for a month and while I was there I repaired a quilt. Sorry the image is not very good, it was taken with my pho...