Friday, January 29, 2016

Have You Disappeared From My Followers List?

Blogger has changed things up...again.  If you are a follower of my blog and are no longer receiving updates it is due to these changes.  There are quite a few sites that let you follow someone without using Blogger.  I have tried Bloglovin but found it to be too full of ads for my taste and nicely settled into Digg Reader a couple of years ago.  Alternately you could just put this blog on a favorites list the old fashioned way and visit when you choose.

I appreciate all my readers, those who comment and those who don't.  Thank you for your interest in the things I do and I hope they inform or entertain you!
This is the announcement from Blogger:
We announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of the plan starting the week of Jan.11th, 2016 we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

4 comments:

Darla Mae said...

I follow by e-mail. For me that is the best way. I know that a few of the blogs I follow has said that their numbers have dropped. I never understand why companies insist on changing something that works!

I hope this won't impact your blog. I enjoy reading it and you have lots of new ways of doing things I never thought of. Thanks!

Darlene

ladyhawthorne said...

Thank you, Darla Mae!

Quinn said...

The whole "Follow With" thing baffles me, even on my own blog! I just want you to know that I recently stumbled upon your blog and after reading a few posts, added it to my Feedly reader list so I see every new post even though you may not know I'm "following." Or maybe you do...as I say, the system for "following" baffles me!

ladyhawthorne said...

Thank you for following! I hope you find many things of interest. I like using the Digg reader but I'm not sure if anyone can tell I'm 'following' either.

Related Posts with Thumbnails